please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:40pm 
   Myriad Forum
   OMeR / Myrweb / Melody Player & other programs
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Getting Myrweb to Work with mymusicstaff.com
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Getting Myrweb to Work with mymusicstaff.com  (Read 3941 times)
tubassee
Board Newbie

Getting Myrweb to Work with mymusicstaff.com  
« on: May 11th, 2020, 7:19pm »
Quote | Modify

My site is hosted through mymusicstaff.com. The only instructions I have found for linking files, is to upload the file to the media library, and then link to it on one of the site's pages, but these are the instructions for audio files and PDFs. It doesn't mention .html specifically.

That's not working: https://www.lessonslive.com/Guitar-Practice-Tools

The file does open in the browser and work, when I open it on my file explorer.

The site builder does allow for a the use of "Plain HTML Mode". Is there some script I can use, and paste in the file location/name? Sorry, I'm a total noob at this...
tubassee
Board Newbie

Re: Getting Myrweb to Work with mymusicstaff.com  
« Reply #1 on: May 11th, 2020, 8:05pm »
Quote | Modify

OK, so I figured it out with the help of support at Myriad.

Hopefully this can help someone else.

All you have to do is delete ".html" from the file name, before uploading it to your media library.

I'm excited to get my website populated with songs and exercises!
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 11th, 2020, 8:15pm »
Quote | Modify

I just had a look, my impression was a bit of the contrary: your file has there an extension of .myrweb, when it should end in ".myrweb.html", though only ".html" would work.  

Depending on the browser, you may get around with an "open with" then selecting a browser. But I guess your users should be able to start it with just a double-click.  

Now, it is possible that your site provider does not allow loading of .html files, then you might load it without this extension, but you should rename it there when loaded.

André Baeck, de retour en Belgique après 12 ans passés dans le Gard.
Windows 11, HA 997e (et précédents)
tubassee
Board Newbie

« Reply #3 on: May 12th, 2020, 2:44am »
Quote | Modify

Well I have now found that it works fine in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer, but not Chrome or Firefox.

I have added all three extensions to an example at: https://www.lessonslive.com/Guitar-Practice-Tools

Here's the code:

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 10px; box-sizing: border-box;">
  <a href="http://www.lessonslive.com/Pentatonic Test.myrweb" style="text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; box-shadow: none; text-shadow: none; -ms-user-select: auto; background-color: transparent;">Pentatonic Scales .myrweb</a>
</p>

<a href="http://www.lessonslive.com/Pentatonic Test.html" style="text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; box-shadow: none; text-shadow: none; -ms-user-select: auto; background-color: transparent;">Pentatonic Scales .html</a>
</p>

<a href="http://www.lessonslive.com/Pentatonic Test.myrweb.html" style="text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; box-shadow: none; text-shadow: none; -ms-user-select: auto; background-color: transparent;">Pentatonic Scale .myrweb.html</a>
</p>

This was from Myriad support:

"The problem comes from a misconfiguration of your server.
our .html files are supposed to be of type "text/html", while your server
returns "application/xhtml+xml". This would require many changes in our page
and script syntax to be compatible with xhtml.

You can try to use .htm extension instead of .html, maybe then it will issue
the right mime-type. Or you can choose any extension (for instance .myrweb) and
change your .htaccess file to make these of files be considered as text/html

This would then be something like :
AddType text/html .myrweb
to be added to your .htacess file."

The "Or you can choose any extension (for instance .myrweb)", is where I got the idea to try just removing ".html" from the file name. The .htaccess stuff is way beyond me. Maybe fixing that would get it to work in the other browsers?

Your instruction to put the .html back onto the name after uploading, doesn't seem to be allowed by the site builder.
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 12th, 2020, 11:27am »
Quote | Modify

Hello,  

What Myriad told you is that an .html file isn't opened in the usual way.  

Two alternate tries, just rename the myrweb file from  
xxx.myrweb.html  to xxx.myrweb.htm     (as you already suggested)
and xxx.myrweb.html  to xxx.myrweb.php

Perhaps your provider will open .htm and .php in a more standard way.  

The .htaccess stuff is quite complex in its full capacities, but can also be used in a minimal manner (the only one I understand myself); perhaps a single-line file  with just  
or even  
AddType text/html .html
the second one would be simpler for future use, no need for any rename.  

You can store such a .htaccess file - if allowed - in either folder (the root one or the guitar one).  

It might however depend on mandatory settings in the existing .htaccess (in your folders, or above).  
When trying to download it, I obtain a file which is identical to index.html (and its alternates). But that might be some forced action.  

If these do not help, you might ask your service provider for help. It could be that they saw these settings as wanted limitations, but also as improvements.

André Baeck, de retour en Belgique après 12 ans passés dans le Gard.
Windows 11, HA 997e (et précédents)
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #5 on: May 12th, 2020, 1:18pm »
Quote | Modify

on May 12th, 2020, 2:44am, tubassee wrote:

This was from Myriad support:
"This would require many changes in our page
and script syntax to be compatible with xhtml."

I had a look at your file, it's not sure it would require many changes.

Please try the following: before uploading the file to the server, just change (line #4)  
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
to
    <meta charset="UTF-8"/>
and tell us what happens.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2020, 3:47pm by JP » offline
tubassee
Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: May 12th, 2020, 8:55pm »
Quote | Modify

"The .htaccess stuff is quite complex in its full capacities, but can also be used in a minimal manner (the only one I understand myself); perhaps a single-line file  with just  
or even  
AddType text/html .html
the second one would be simpler for future use, no need for any rename.  

You can store such a .htaccess file - if allowed - in either folder (the root one or the guitar one)."

I don't think I have access to any of this, but I'm definitely still learning, so I could be wrong. I'll reach out to mymusicstaff...

"Please try the following: before uploading the file to the server, just change (line #4)  
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
to
    <meta charset="UTF-8"/>
and tell us what happens."

It doesn't seem to have done much. You can check again here: https://www.lessonslive.com/Guitar-Practice-Tools

If I can't improve on what I have, I can either instruct viewers that the examples will only work in ME and IE, or I could switch hosts, or I could find another web player. I just really wanted HE to work with mymusicstaff's builder, as this comes included with the software subscription I'm already paying for, and now I've already bought Harmony Assistant.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2020, 8:59pm by tubassee » offline
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #7 on: May 12th, 2020, 10:12pm »
Quote | Modify

The three files in your page start by
Quote:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<script src="data:text/javascript;base64,ZnVuY3Rpb24gRGVidWcoZSl7dmFyIHQ9ZG9jdW1 lbnQuZ2V0RWxlbWVudEJ5SWQoImRlYnVnIik7

Please change the 4th line as instructed from
Quote:
<meta charset="UTF-8">

to
Quote:
<meta charset="UTF-8"/>

The main difference between HTML and XHTML is that all XHTML tags must be closed, whereas some HTML tags don't need to be closed.
As much as I understand, your server instructs browsers that all files are XHTML files.
If you close the <meta> tag by putting a "/" before the ending ">" your file should be considered as a valid XHMTL file.
I checked the validity of that file with a specific webmaster tool.
The modified file was considered valid by that tool.

Don't try to make changes in .htaccess files. It's a very complex matter, and even if I'm a trained webmaster I avoid making changes in them unless it's absolutely necessary.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2020, 10:18pm by JP » offline
tubassee
Board Newbie

« Reply #8 on: May 12th, 2020, 10:47pm »
Quote | Modify

Sorry, I had done and undone so many times. Check again, please?
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2020, 10:50pm by tubassee » offline
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

Re: Getting Myrweb to Work with mymusicstaff.com   pentatonic.png
« Reply #9 on: May 12th, 2020, 11:42pm »
Quote | Modify

on May 12th, 2020, 10:47pm, tubassee wrote:
Sorry, I had done and undone so many times. Check again, please?

OK I see what's happening: rhe 2nd file ("Pentatonic Scales UTF-8.html") being declared as XHTML/XML is considered as an XML file (and not an XHTML file) by FireFox
The file is a "valid XML file" but Firefox displays it as a data file without interpreting it as an HTML page (see below).
I hardly see how to bypass the issue.

As a registered user of HA you are entitled to use your personal MUSL file space. Maybe you should put your myweb files in your MUSL file space and just put links to these files in your musicspace. I don't know if that cat be done and how to do it.
Another possibility which was previously suggested to you would be to renmae the file with a .php extension instead of .html.
Once again, it's nos sure that musicspace qould allow you to do that.
Sorry I cannot help you more.
It's 11:30PM, I need some rest. Maybe I'll have a better suggestion tomorrow morning.  

tubassee
Board Newbie

« Reply #10 on: May 13th, 2020, 1:43am »
Quote | Modify

I really appreciate the help.

I tried the .php extension already...

I just updated Edge, and now removing ".html" from the file name, no longer works there either.  

I hadn't really tested Explorer out before. It shows the score, and plays in Explorer, but there is no cursor, and some other functions don't work.

I'll keep messing around with it a bit, but I might just need to ditch either HA or the mymusicstaff web page.

I don't know anything about the MUSL file space. More to learn about, I guess!   Maybe I could also set up a file sharing link, and people could download the files, and then they would open fine.

The first example is now a link to GD, you have to download it, but then it can be opened and used. Better than nothing I suppose...
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2020, 2:16am by tubassee » offline
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #11 on: May 13th, 2020, 11:00am »
Quote | Modify

For your information, the marketshare of browsers WW is
  • 62.48%  for Google Chrome
  • 19.94% for Apple Safari
  • 4.21% for Firefox
  • 3.4% for Samsung Internt
  • 2.23% for Edge

The rest (including IE) makes 7.74%
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #12 on: May 13th, 2020, 11:08am »
Quote | Modify

on May 13th, 2020, 1:43am, tubassee wrote:

I'll keep messing around with it a bit, but I might just need to ditch either HA or the mymusicstaff web page.

My recommandtaion would be avoid using mymusicstaff which apprently does not conform with common web usage.
About MUSL http://www.myriad-users.com/en/index.html
tubassee
Board Newbie

Re: Getting Myrweb to Work with mymusicstaff.com   HA_Paste_Attempt_1.jpg
« Reply #13 on: May 13th, 2020, 5:55pm »
Quote | Modify

I so appreciate the help, but TBH, I wish i had not bought HA!

I should have tried to use the software itself more first. I suppose it must work okay for notation but unless I'm missing something, it's pretty much unusable for instruments using tablature.

My first impression was that surely I just needed to get used to it, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

It's pretty much impossible to get the tablature to do what you want. Why can't you just dictate which string a note is on?! I tried messing around with the rules and it went from bad to worse!

I tried pasting from my example, thinking that would preserve the tablature, and it made the most ridiculous fingerings imaginable!

So frustrated! I'm gonna beg for my $85 dollars back.

bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #14 on: May 13th, 2020, 6:26pm »
Quote | Modify

on May 13th, 2020, 5:55pm, tubassee wrote:

It's pretty much impossible to get the tablature to do what you want. Why can't you just dictate which string a note is on?
Actually, you can...
Personally I sometimes have to print a few guitar tab scores. As for automatic calculation of the best positions, I usually don't change the default settings. However, I keep using this feature : when holding down a right click (for a second or so) on a tablature figure , a popup menu appears and offers me other possibilities. That's probably what you missed out. There are so many features in HA ! The best thing to do is to ask questions on this forum whenever a problem or difficulty occurs. In most cases you'll get a reply within a few hours (due to the different time zones) or even a few minutes if European users are not asleep.  
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2020, 6:26pm by bubu42 » offline

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad