please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 1:36am 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Flatten all voices
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Flatten all voices  (Read 385 times)
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

Flatten all voices   Flatten.png
« on: Jan 21st, 2021, 6:56pm »
Quote | Modify

What is the purpose of "Flatten all voices" (Fr: Aplatir toutes les voix) ?
This command (in the Blue/Red triangle menu) only appears when two voices have been merged.

After this command, the voices cannot be un-merged (unless by Undo) and changes of instrument are eliminated.

The English term "Flatten" seems (to me) quite inappropriate here, but I cannot think of a better term until I understand why this function exists.

Anglophone, HA 64 Win.10.
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.
bubu42
Board Master

Re: Flatten all voices  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21st, 2021, 7:15pm »
Quote | Modify

I think it's meant to have all the notes of both staves on a single staff, as if you had typed them all on one staff (including flattened and sharpened notes   )

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21st, 2021, 8:06pm »
Quote | Modify

bubu is right.
By the way, if you have two voices (two staves merged), flattening them can produce some difficult situations, when you want to change stem direction, when you have notes of different length played together, etc...

It's exactly the same as in image/video software.

You can have several layers, i.e. a photo, a transparent layer with text, another transparent layer with borders to imitate a wooden frame... You can change some settings, font size, colorize (sepia / grey scale), contrast... on separate layers.
says you want to transforme the picture in greyscale (1st layer), move the text on the 2nd, and change the size of the frame on the 3rd.

When you see on your screen all layers, it's flat, but until you can work on each layer, the structure of the image is not flatten.
Once you save in BMP, JPEG or PNG format, you flatten all the layers. If you don't keep a photoshop (or equivalent) project file, it'll be very very very hard to change the font size or move the text, change the size of the frame... on a JPEG.

"Flatten" the voices is the same.
When you see all voices on your screen, it appears flat, but you can work on each voice separately.
Once you flatten, it'll be harder to work on what was "different" voices.

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
Linktree: VS languages, my scripts, my bands, my performances...
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21st, 2021, 8:06pm »
Quote | Modify

J'ai trouvé cela utile en particulier pour introduire des notes au piano; je ne suis pas arrivé à caler les notes sans cela; je veux dire, en introduisant les notes sur différentes portées, et quand l'alignement est bon, je fusionne pour vérifier l'aspect, puis j"'aplatis" pour n'avoir plus qu'une seule portée.

André Baeck, de retour en Belgique après 12 ans passés dans le Gard.
Windows 11, HA 997e (et précédents)
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2021, 12:12pm »
Quote | Modify

That is a good explanation, Sylvain  

So I now understand the command to mean "Compress all voices into the base layer"

As you say, a lot of disadvantages, plus not being able to change instrument.

Anglophone, HA 64 Win.10.
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.
PaulL
Board Master

Retired organist and choir director; former progra

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2021, 5:27pm »
Quote | Modify

As Andre remarks, flattening is very useful in certain specific circumstances.  Since I mostly work with choral music, I prefer merging but not flattening for most of my scores, but as Andre mentions, flattening can be useful with keyboard music.  Even there, however, it is sometimes useful to keep the separate musical voices on their own (merged) staves.

(The one drawback with merging several staves together is that some of the automatic colors are hard to see when "Display colors" is turned on.  It would be nice to be able to alter the defaults.)

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la Raison ne connaît point.
Paul Littlefield, retired Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad