please Login or Register.
Mar 6th, 2021, 12:22pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   HA cannot read all lyrics in encore enc file
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: HA cannot read all lyrics in encore enc file  (Read 304 times)
pkt
Board Newbie

HA cannot read all lyrics in encore enc file  
« on: Jan 11th, 2021, 6:34pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi,
I jsut purchase HA.  I tried to open one of my encore file (enc) and it can open but only see 1 line of lyrics.  I have 3.  I sent email to support but no reply for a week now .  
Please advise what i can do next .

Thx.
pkt
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2021, 6:34pm by pkt » offline
bubu42
Board Master

Re: HA cannot read all lyrics in encore enc file  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2021, 10:00am »
Quote | Modify

I once too part to the building of the import script from Encore to HA. As far as I can remember, Encore saves the lyrics in a special way, which causes troubles in the case there are some repeats in the score. However, only Didier or Olivier are able to tell you more about that. I think you did the right thing : send them an e-mail, attaching the file and describing the problem.
A new version of HA has just been launched and they may be very busy checking the feedback...
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2021, 10:03am by bubu42 » offline

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Oliveira
Board Master

WWW |

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2021, 10:28am »
Quote | Modify

Mientras tanto no recibe contestación de los Guillion brothers..¿Podría adjuntar el fichero aquí?. Si es libre de derechos claro... Tengo cierta experiencia en ese tipo de archivos y también el compañero J.L. Blasco, que ha convertido mas de 1.100 archivos de Encore a H.A.

Mi música: http://jose_a__oliveira.myriad-users.com/
www.atrilcoral.com / H.A 9.9. 64bt V.S. Myriad HQ. PDF to Music Pro 1.7 / Overture 5.6.3.3 / Win 10/64 b
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2021, 1:43pm »
Quote | Modify

I don't know how Encore works, but are you sure there are the repeat begin and end bar lines
|: and :|
?

VS languages |
demos on my MUSL
HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win10
Keyboards: Nord Electro 3, MIDI controller+Ketron
pkt
Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2021, 12:58am »
Quote | Modify

Hi,
I have sent the problem to support in france, and the answer is sorry, HA cannot display encore enc files correctly, and there are no plan to fix this problem.

I have tried to asked for a refund (I have just bought this 2 weeks ago and this is the only action that I need to do : open my enc files).  But was rejected.

I am dumbfounded that HA advertises support encore enc files but fail to display multiple-line lyrics .  I think this is a false advertisement.

If anyone in this forum can help me get my refund, I would be aapreciated very much.  

Thanks,
Andre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2021, 5:43am »
Quote | Modify

When I started using Harmony Assistant, all my files, and as well my ability to enter scores and print them nicely, were with Encore.  
Importing Encore V4 was almost perfect, with Encore V5 it was a bit more difficult, but I don't remember I had a problem with multi-verse pieces (but not surely that I had some to work with).  

You can send me a failing .enc file and I'll see what I can think of (gabr2@orange.fr)

Nowadays, the "state of the art" transfer method is to "print" a PDF file from Encore, and to read it in with PDFtoMusic. This gives a good result (importing is never perfect) and you can try that by exporting one page at a time with the demo version.  

Not allowing a refund is indeed a pity, but it is currently common practice with software or, in general, copyrighted items (one cannot ensure that the "returned" product is eliminated).  

One always gets the answer that is was perfectly possible to test the suitability of the software to one's need with a demo version (which simply cannot write a file, but goes up to playing it.)

André Baeck, Belge vivant dans le Gard
Windows 10, HA 992e (et précédents)
Oliveira
Board Master

WWW |

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17th, 2021, 10:23am »
Quote | Modify

Hola pkt :
A veces las letras de Encore no están vinculadas a la nota y se pueden mostrar (o nó) en modo de texto libre. Por eso, la necesidad de examinar ese archivo de Encore. Como le dije yo tengo bastante experiencia en esas conversiones. Efectivamente, nunca es perfecta la conversión. Pero... si las notas están razonablemente bién, el hecho de tener que reescribir unas líneas de letras (que posiblemente el problema venga de Encore), no es como para descalificar ya directamente Harmony.
Adjunte por favor el archivo aquí, si es posible, o a este correo: robespier2013.@gmail.com
Intentaré ayudarle junto con Andre.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2021, 10:28am by Oliveira » offline

www.atrilcoral.com / H.A 9.9. 64bt V.S. Myriad HQ. PDF to Music Pro 1.7 / Overture 5.6.3.3 / Win 10/64 b
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17th, 2021, 2:08pm »
Quote | Modify

Importing a file is a hard task if you expect the exactly same result as in the original software.

If you import Excel file in Google Sheets, you may have some differences. If you export Google Sheet file to XLS(X) format and open it in Excel, you may have some formulas not working.
And yet, these two software are doing the same things, they are spreadsheet, and in common case you can have 99% same results. In more rare case, complex use of formulas and charts, you may have incompatibilities.

So, for notation softwares...

Encore, Finale, and Harmony have a file format that is only known perfectly by their author.

Myriad team knows perfectly .MYR file format, because they created it.
But Myriad team doesn't know in all subtile details how a Encore or a Finale file is made.

So, they had to do some reverse engineering and a lot of tries and fails to understand how a Encore file is structured, and they probably didn't bump into all possibles things that a Encore file can contain. Maybe they didn't find files with multi-lines lyrices? Maybe they found some, but writed slightly different?

I wish good luck to who want to analyze and import .MYR files in his software!

Some file format are "open", i.e. you can find description of structure of file format on the web, like MIDI, ABC, MusicXML...
Here again the import is not always perfect, especially for ABC files, because all softwares write ABC file with some subtilities more-or-less in the "standards".

Encore, Finale and other softwares can export to MIDI, some of them to MusicXML, and print to PDF.

MIDI format lose all formatings of the score, it "only" contains instructions "start note E flat" here, "stop note E flat here", and lyrics.
So all software importing MIDI have to transform to a readable score, and this is a hard task. Not all imports are easy, depending on the algorithm, or depending on the MIDI file.

MusicXML is a standard exchange format between notation softwares. It contains many details on the graphical rendition, and guarantees a best result, not always perfect if informations are missing or badly writed.

PDF imported via PDFtoMusic is a very good alternative for softwares that can't export MusicXML.
I advise you to give it a try!
The demo version is limited I think to a number of page.
The pro version has many more settings you can finely tune but to be honest, I never changed them.

VS languages |
demos on my MUSL
HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win10
Keyboards: Nord Electro 3, MIDI controller+Ketron
pkt
Board Newbie

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20th, 2021, 7:18am »
Quote | Modify

Thanks you all for advise, especially Oliviera who offers help to fix up the enc file.  I think its best I buy the encore product to open these enc files so that I get some support if things go wrong.   ( I have 50+ files).

Oliveira
Board Master

WWW |

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20th, 2021, 10:39am »
Quote | Modify

on Jan 20th, 2021, 7:18am, pkt wrote:
Thanks you all for advise, especially Oliviera who offers help to fix up the enc file.  I think its best I buy the encore product to open these enc files so that I get some support if things go wrong.   ( I have 50+ files).

Gracias de nada pkt  
. Pero en el fondo de la cuestión no comprendo muy bién que es lo que pretende hacer.  Yo creí que lo que usted pretendía era convertir el archivo (o archivos) Encore en formato Harmony con el propósito de poder leer y cantar las letras a través de V.S.. Eso, como le dije, tiene un proceso. No hay (nadie tiene) una fórmula mágica. Pero le puedo asegurar que he convertido archivos de .enc a .myr en 5 minutos.
Por otra parte si lo que pretende es abrir, oir en midi e imprimir esos archivos de manera mas fiable al primer intento, lo lógico es que compre una licencia de Encore (unos 260 ¤).
Pero aquí es donde yo no haría eso... jamás. Haremos una cuenta:
H.A. 70 ¤ + Virtual Singer, 20 ¤ + Pdf to Music Standard, 40 ¤. suman: 130 ¤. (licencias vitalicias y programas avanzados en constante desarrollo) y tiene un paquete de trabajo impresionante por la mitad de lo que le cuesta la licencia de Encore (programa, por cierto, sin desarrollo actual y muy anticuado en prestaciones. Limitadísimo.
En fín. Como le dije, yo he procesado cientos de archivos de Encore hacia H.A.. También muchos amigos míos han migrado de Encore a H.A. de forma muy sencilla y están encantados. Sobre todo directores e integrantes de formaciones corales.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2021, 10:41am by Oliveira » offline

Andre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20th, 2021, 4:17pm »
Quote | Modify

on Jan 20th, 2021, 10:39am, Oliveira wrote:

Gracias de nada pkt  
On the other hand, if what you want is to open, listen to midi and print those files more reliably on the first try, the logical thing is that you buy an Encore license (about ¤ 260).
(...) (program, by the way, without current development...)

I agree with Pepe (Oliveira). Don't buy Encore anymore, it's almost dead, and has very limited support. Particularly if you have a Mac, there is no 64-bit version. (They say "yet", but nobody believes in it anymore).  

At most, if you have Windows or an old Mac, you might want to buy the subset "MusicTimeDeLuxe") which is a subset, in which one could fix some errors which would make the conversion difficult. Or which could let you print a PDF for later import in HA.  

I had first thought that you were a Encore user with a huge library, and that you had a licence of it. Perhaps yopu inherited that library from somebody, or a choir, but not the licence with it...  

But, practically, Pepe and/or I could be more precise in helping you if you send us an example of .enc file which gives difficulties.

bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #11 on: Jan 20th, 2021, 5:34pm »
Quote | Modify

If it can help along, I think I've got an old Windows version of Encore 4 (the one I was using before I switched to Harmony Assistant).  
However, I doubt it will run on Windows XP and if doesn't, I'll have to go back to W98 on a virtual machine, but I wonder if there is any software running on that system and capable of creating .pdf files...

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Andre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20th, 2021, 6:47pm »
Quote | Modify

I think I have installed and used (a little) Encore 4.55 on Windows 10 - and certainly on Windows 7 - but not reinstalled yet after a Windows refresh. No problem encountered. I will look for the install file.  

But HA reads much better Encore 4.55 files than V5 files.  

It would be good to know about which version of Encore we talk.  

And for sure, Encore V5 can read V4 files (but not save in "old version mode" as HA can do).

Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad