please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 9:30am 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Origin of Term "Floyd Strike"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Origin of Term "Floyd Strike"  (Read 1233 times)
xander_mogue
Board Newbie

Origin of Term "Floyd Strike"  
« on: Jul 10th, 2020, 6:26am »
Quote | Modify

I have been unsuccessful in finding any information on Google related to this term. I had hoped to find a video demonstration of a floyd strike being performed, or a description of the technique involved.

Where does this term come from?
Lagaffe
Board Master

Bricoleur DPLG

Email

Re: Origin of Term "Floyd Strike"  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10th, 2020, 10:30am »
Quote | Modify

If the Floyd is pink it may be a good start...

Pourquoi faire simple... Quand on peut faire compliqué ?
iMac 27 4GHz 24Go DDR3, Macbook pro
HA 9.9.7e
Melody Player
Mac OS Monterey
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10th, 2020, 11:10am »
Quote | Modify

I've never heard of "Floyd Strike"...  
However, I'd try two paths :
1- A link with Pink Floyd... Perhaps a special way of using the guitar (S. Barett ? ) or the bass (R. Waters). Anything to do with Liza Strike ? I doubt.
2- A link with Floyd Council and his blues. (Still linked with the Pink Floyd band's name)
However George Floyd's death will come first in the search engines these days.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10th, 2020, 12:04pm »
Quote | Modify

The word "strike" could be used for a violin (or a bow), more than for a guitar, I guess.  

But, unless the expression would have been used more than a few months ago, - or unless the link with music is clear - I would think of different sort of reactions or demonstrations following the dead of George Floyd.  

However, our Anglo-Saxon friends would better witness than us for colloquial aspects.

André Baeck, de retour en Belgique après 12 ans passés dans le Gard.
Windows 11, HA 997e (et précédents)
xander_mogue
Board Newbie

Re: Origin of Term "Floyd Strike"   floydstrike.PNG
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10th, 2020, 4:11pm »
Quote | Modify

It's not so difficult to filter out references to George Floyd (may he rest in peace), but still nothing of relevance can be found: even when searching particularly for relation to Pink Floyd, guitar, or violin. For example:

https://www.google.com/search?q="floyd+strike"+"pink+floy d"+guitar
https://www.google.com/search?q="floyd+strike"+violin
https://www.google.com/search?q="floyd+council"+"floyd+st rike"+blues

Wondering further: is this mark in Melody/Harmony Assistant also called "Floyd strike" in the software's original French?
Does anyone know if this mark goes by any other name?
How did it come to be added to the software?

ANdre_B
Board Master

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10th, 2020, 5:33pm »
Quote | Modify

Indeed, somewhere hidden in the HA effects there is a "Floyd" with that picture, the French equivalent is "coup de vibrato". This is apparently within the guitar effects.  

There is apparently a "Floyd Rose" device to perform that, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrato_systems_for_guitar#Floyd_Rose  

named to its inventor Floyd D. Rose in 1979.  

The name similarity with the "Pink Floyd" group would be completely accidental, that group having that name more than 10 years earlier, and based on the name of two members (Pink Anderson and Floyd Council).  

Just searched on that for the question, I don't know anything of that group.    

André Baeck, de retour en Belgique après 12 ans passés dans le Gard.
Windows 11, HA 997e (et précédents)
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10th, 2020, 6:51pm »
Quote | Modify

Looks like the guitar way of picking a tuplet named after a great French guitarist : "Dadi's picking". It is indeed in HA's effect table.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
PaulL
Board Master

Retired organist and choir director; former progra

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10th, 2020, 9:05pm »
Quote | Modify

I came across this term recently, but don't remember exactly where.  I believe it is a bowing technique and has nothing to do with Pink Floyd.  However, let me see if I can track down the reference and be more precise with my answer.

No luck finding the phrase "Floyd strike" anywhere, sorry.  The closest I came in any musical sense was that Floyd Rose invented a tremolo plate for an electric guitar.  The term might be relevant in that sense.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2020, 9:24pm by PaulL » offline

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la Raison ne connaît point.
Paul Littlefield, retired Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
xander_mogue
Board Newbie

Re: Origin of Term "Floyd Strike"   dadi.PNG
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11th, 2020, 6:53am »
Quote | Modify

Aha, the Floyd Rose connection does make sense! It is indeed related to "tremolo plates" for electric guitars, though "tremolo" is a misnomer because it does rather enable vibrato (as detailed in the Wikipedia link from Andre_B). And the audible effect created by the "floyd strike" mark in MA/HA is one of vibrato.

In this case, perhaps "floyd strike" has been incorrectly named by Myriad:

The Floyd Rose is a system which allows for the strings to be locked in tune so that extensive use of the whammy bar does not pull them out of tune. It sometimes also includes a cavity beneath the bridge to allow bending the pitch of the strings upward as well as downward.

However, a Floyd Rose is not necessary in order to have a whammy bar. The whammy bar predates the Floyd Rose by nearly three decades. Further, even when using a guitar with a Floyd Rose, it is not the Floyd Rose which is struck or manipulated: it is the whammy bar which is "struck".

Perhaps in MA/HA this mark should instead be renamed to "whammy strike"? Or, simply "whammy".

By the way, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council were not members of Pink Floyd but merely inspirations. As a point of amusement, there is a line in the Pink Floyd song "Have a Cigar" where the narrator, a disingenuous record executive, has his detachment illustrated when he asks offhandedly "Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?"  

Also, just to clarify, Dadi's Picking is a separate mark from the "floyd strike". I've attached a picture of the Dadi's Picking mark.

Thank you, everyone, for the help in unraveling this mystery!
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2020, 6:56am by xander_mogue » offline

bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11th, 2020, 9:35am »
Quote | Modify

on Jul 11th, 2020, 6:53am, xander_mogue wrote:
Also, just to clarify, Dadi's Picking is a separate mark from the "floyd strike". I've attached a picture of the Dadi's Picking mark.
Quite different indeed. While the Floyd strike generates some kind of tremolo and is performed with the right hand, the Dadi's picking is partly played with the left little finger, a bit like a pull off. Rather difficult to achieve...

Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad