please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 1:55pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Grace Note Problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Grace Note Problem  (Read 1609 times)
hafner
Board Junior Member

Grace Note Problem  
« on: Aug 30th, 2002, 6:02pm »
Quote | Modify

I am working in HA.  I have a melody in the key of D (C sharp and F sharp).  I want to add a grace note of F sharp to an E (F5 and E5).  When I try to do this, I either get a grace note marked as an F natural, or I get some other very strange notation.  

Is there a way to add a grace note marked as an F sharp -- or simply as an F with no sharp or natural marking at all?
Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

Re: Grace Note Problem  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30th, 2002, 6:05pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi,

Could you try to edit the grace note and to change the accidental related to it ?

Best regards

Myriad Team
hafner
Board Junior Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 2nd, 2002, 4:29pm »
Quote | Modify

Didier,

Your suggested solution might work, but I don't think I know how to do it.  I am interested in the appearance of the notation on the printed sheet music.  (The sound during playback does not matter so much.)

I have tried editing the grace note using Select>Note Options>Grace>Pitch>Preferred Accidental   But what I need is a notation for the grace note that marks it either as sharp or shows no sharp or flat marking at all.  HA does not seem to allow me to do this.  At least not in this case -- adding a grace note of F5 sharp to an E5 in the key of D.

Olivier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 2nd, 2002, 5:25pm »
Quote | Modify

on Sep 2nd, 2002, 4:29pm, hafner wrote:
Didier,
adding a grace note of F5 sharp to an E5 in the key of D.

In this case, the sharp symbol is not necessary, because the sharp symbol is implied by the key signature (except if you have an E natural previously in the same bar)
Do you mean you need cautionary accidentals on grace notes ?

Olivier Guillion
Myriad Software
Esme
Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Sep 2nd, 2002, 5:44pm »
Quote | Modify

on Sep 2nd, 2002, 4:29pm, hafner wrote:

I have tried editing the grace note using Select>Note Options>Grace>Pitch>Preferred Accidental   But what I need is a notation for the grace note that marks it either as sharp or shows no sharp or flat marking at all.

Do what you have done, but don't bother with the "Preferred Accidental" bit. Instead, type the pitch "F#5" into the "Pitch" box. The note will appear in your score without an accidental because the key-signature already has an F# in it.

Just in case you didn't know, "#" is typed by pressing keys (OPTION-3) together on a Mac keyboard. I think it's (ALT-3) on a PC. The flat symbol is typed using the lower case letter "b" (e.g. Bb, Eb etc.)

"Preferred Accidental" is used when you don't agree with the way that HA has displayed the note. Using your example, say you wanted the grace note to appear as Gb instead of F#, then you would need to select "Preferred Accidental: Flat" to force HA to display it your way.

all the best,
Esmeralda Weatherwax.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2002, 6:08pm by Esme » offline
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #5 on: Sep 2nd, 2002, 6:16pm »
Quote | Modify

Esme, on PC the key is "Alt Gr."

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
Linktree: VS languages, my scripts, my bands, my performances...
hafner
Board Junior Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 2nd, 2002, 9:36pm »
Quote | Modify

Merci, to all who gave me suggestions.  

And thanks especially to Esme, whose wisdom about HA never ceases to amaze me.  I did not realize I could enter the sharp and flat designations for grace notes directly into the Pitch window -- and now I have learned.

By the way, on a Mac keyboard (or at least on mine, configured for US English), the # symbol can be typed in directly with Shift+3, rather than Option+3
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad