please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 10:18pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Open Source
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Galerie Pro version? A wish list...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Galerie Pro version? A wish list...  (Read 3690 times)
kevintucker
Board Newbie

Galerie Pro version? A wish list...  
« on: Jun 20th, 2008, 8:28pm »
Quote | Modify

Hello-
I'm finding Galerie quite useful, but I would find it almost universally useful if there were a few more features...  

I don't know if you have considered a "pro" version of this app, but it occurs to me that there is a need for such a thing, and those using it in a professional capacity, such as myself, and other art directors, photographers, designers, small agencies, etc would find such a thing useful (and be willing to pay for it):

Suggested features:
-- Ability to host the comment script on own server (for security & control purposes)
-- More features for comment area, to include a rating system (stars, or example) or to have checkboxes for "selection" or "approval"
-- It would also be useful to have such ratings or checkboxes appear on the index page
-- A method of creating a secure login around resulting galleries, with assignable usernames that are automatically added to comments.  

I really feel there's a market for this... I've been looking for something does exactly this for some time, as have many others in my field. There are plenty of hosted services out there that do this, but none that i have found that allow for it to be self-hosted, except for a few that are priced on an enterprise level, and thus completely out of reach for us independent professionals and small creative firms.  

I'd love to hear what you think about the possibility of this happening.  
Thanks
-Kevin
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2008, 8:30pm by kevintucker » offline
eric_may
Board Newbie

Re: Galerie Pro version? A wish list...  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20th, 2008, 8:37pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi this is my first post on here but i wanted to second this post.  I would glady pay for this kind of gallery.  I am a photographer and also have been searching for what was posted above.  The only other thing I would like to add to this is a way to go through lightroom.

i am interested to hear if there is any thoughts from the developers about doing this sort of thing?

thanks

eric may
DonLand
Board Newbie

« Reply #2 on: Oct 5th, 2008, 11:57pm »
Quote | Modify

I would gladly pay for a pro version that gets updated. I would really like it to be able to export right out of Aperture.
Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10th, 2008, 4:19pm »
Quote | Modify

I read your request with a lot of attention.
In fact, I made the error to write Galerie using AppleScript Studio. This developpment kit is now abandonned by Apple.
We can still add some minor features to Galerie but we are near to the limit we can do with AppleScript studio.
The best way will be to write again the program from blank in a standard language (like C) The main profit will be Galerie will also work on Windows.
But it is a big, big job...

Best regards

Myriad Team
hptroll
Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11th, 2008, 11:50am »
Quote | Modify

What about adding a PHP/MySQL portion of code in the pages generated in order to add the features about a specific list of registered users / commenters?
That would remove the need for a complete rewrite of the app and replace it with the need of a PHP script. Users could select where their own MySLQ DB is and the script would connect to it and look for a USERS table there. Just a rough thought.

In my case, here's what I'm trying to do : I want to make a gallery with hundreds of pictures, and I want a group of users to be able to select 20 from those pictures. Each user should be able to select 20 and no more pictures. In the end, I'll use the most selected pictures to create a paperback album (and a new gallery).

I can imagine that each user of Galerie would have it's own needs which is why I'm thinking the idea of adding PHP scripts, that could be completely or partially entered by users could be interesting.
silvia33
Board Newbie

« Reply #5 on: Sep 21st, 2009, 12:04am »
Quote | Modify

I am sad to hear that Galerie is nearing it's end.  It is the best program I've encountered to generate the albums I like.  I am not a pro, but I would be willing to pay a moderate fee for a Galerie program with updates and similar to this one.  Maybe one for the Pro people and one for the "rest of us", not so "pro", and two different $.

silvia
Ronald P. Regensburg
Board Master

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21st, 2009, 2:17pm »
Quote | Modify

It is not a matter of money. Galerie is a nice, easy to use, program for what it does, but in its present form it simply has reached the end of its possibilities. Apart for minor adjustments, further development of Galerie is not possible, as Didier Guillion explained above. Also, the basic concept of the program, the way the galleries are generated with a separate page for each image, is very much outdated. The same is true for the generated html code.

A completely new program would need to be designed and written. Not just rewriting Galerie in a different language but also designing a new concept, a new approach to creating galleries, would be needed.

There are other applications for creating galleries. If Galerie does not meet your needs, better look for alternatives.

Ronald.
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad