please Login or Register.
Apr 17th, 2024, 12:46am 
   Myriad Forum
   MyrScript Language
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   End-User Interface
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: End-User Interface  (Read 3956 times)
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Master

Email

End-User Interface  
« on: Jan 18th, 2003, 9:32pm »
Quote | Modify

How will the MyrScript functionality appear within Harmony Assistant itself, particularly, the ability to run a script? Will there be a new "Scripts" Menu that will be populated at load time with the names of scripts that appear in the proper directories, just as Models / Templates, Virtual Singer and RealSinger voice files, etc. do now? Will there be multiple types of scripts with different ways of appearing in the user interface (similar to the multiple types of plugins that appear in programs such as Photoshop, 3D Studio MAX, Dreamweaver, etc., each type of which appears in the host program in a different way: for instance, Photoshop has Filters that appear in the Filters menu, plus Import and Export plugins that appear in the File / Acquire and File / Export submenus, and so on and so on)? Can hot-keys be assigned to scripts?
Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

Re: End-User Interface  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 2:49pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi,

In a first step, scripts will appear in new Scripts menu which reflect the "Scripts" folder hierarchy  (see page 15 for a precise description).

We can imagine than in a near future the most interesting scripts will appear in other menus. In my actual state of mind, inserting a new item in another  menu  than the Scripts menu will not be do by the script developer but instead by the Myriad Team. We want to avoid confusion, specialy with the step by step tutorials which show the menus.

Best regards

Myriad Team
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Master

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 3:56pm »
Quote | Modify

Well, my thoughts on that are that scripted features that would appear other than in the Scripts menu should only be allowed to appear in a fly-out (heirarchical) menu off of another menu. For instance, if someone writes an importer for Coda (Finale, Allegro, etc. .MUS files, or an exporter for .NIFF, those would appear in a fly-out off of the Files / Import or Files / Export menus, respectively. So, only one new item would be added to any existing menu: "MyScript Add-Ons ->" or some such (where "->" represents the little right-pointing arrowhead that appears on the parent item of a fly-out menu). This would not seriously impact visual tutorials, and yet would allow scripts to appear where their functionality makes sense.
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 4:51pm »
Quote | Modify

If you write a script for importing finale files, when you develop, it appears in the Scripts menu. And in your script you call the OpenFile dialog box (is it possible? I don't remember...).
If you script works very well, you send it to Didier&Olivier and they will modify a bit their code:
- in the call of the OpenFile dialog box... they'll add the extension of the file in the list...
- if a finale file is choosen, they'll call your script
(so in Melody, it'll be interesting to add the script interpreter but not the composer...)

Another example, if I write a script that make an enhanced swing script. I'll send to Guillions Bros and they can add a button in the swing dialog to call the script...

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
Linktree: VS languages, my scripts, my bands, my performances...
dewdman42
Board Full Member

Dewdman42   Dewdman42

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 8:35pm »
Quote | Modify

Hmm, I actually hope that there will be so many useful scripts floating around that there will just not be any feasible way for the Myriad team to manually add the most useful ones to important places in the interface.  I tend to agree with the first poster of this topic.  It would be nice if many obvious locations in the HA interface had a place for a script submenu which can be populated by any scripts the user desires.  If a button is needed on a dialog, then have the button popup a pop-up menu of scripts.

The problem is how to populate these widgets with scripts!  I would say through a preference file that defines which scripts go in which menus.  And make sure that MyrScript can be used to programmatically adjust the preference files.

If this all sounds too complicated, then I think simply having scripts accessible from the top menu and/or a custom pallette is probably going to work 99% of the time.  For example, if you want to use a custom swing script, why does it need to be in the Swing Dialog?  Why can't you just select the notes you want swung and then select your swing script from the main script menu?

Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 11:38am »
Quote | Modify

Hi,

This morning I added the possibility to a script to add itself to some menus or sub-menus. The new item in the menu will be tagged with a specific icon to show the user that the item will run a script.

The menu availables are :
"File>Export"
"File>Import"
"File>Info"
"File>Print"
"Edit"
"Edit>Select"
"Edit>Search"
"Edit>Bars"
"Edit>Appearance"
"Edit>Pitch"
"Edit>Quantize"
"Edit>Actions"
"Edit>Mirror"
"Edit>Multi-Voices"
"Edit>Digital audio track"
"Edit>Free objects"
"Score>Page mode"
"Score>Fast Transpose"
"Score>Apply"
"Staff"
"Instruments"
"Options"
"Configuration"
"Windows>Zoom"
"Windows>Palettes"
"Windows>Custom tool"
"Windows>Custom tools"
"Windows>Mixer"

Hope this answer to your request.

Best regards

Myriad Team
dewdman42
Board Full Member

Dewdman42   Dewdman42

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 11:50am »
Quote | Modify

Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 12:20pm »
Quote | Modify

Cool!!!!

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
Linktree: VS languages, my scripts, my bands, my performances...
Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 3:33pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi,

This afternoom, added the possibility to relate a keyboard key (with modifiers like Ctrl+key or shift+key) to a Script.

This definition will be done by the end-user not by the script.

Best regards

Myriad Team
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Master

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 4:26pm »
Quote | Modify

Cool indeed! The hot-key thing should indeed be end-user-defined, not script-defined, to prevent two scripts from two different scripters trying to use the same hot-key.

Macromedia Dreamweaver is probably the closest model to how MyrScript could interface. Unlike Photoshop, etc., Dreamweaver's Extensions can be written in a built-in high-level scripting language (JavaScript in their case) with an application-specific Document Object Model (DOM). They have a special script installer (Extensions Manager) that uses keywords in a special installer file to tell it where to install scripts. The scripts themselves are installed in the "Configuration" folder under the main Dreamweaver application folder, which in turn has many sub-folders, one for each specific type of script or extension: Objects, Inspectors, Commands, Behaviors, Server Behaviors, and so on.  Each user of a machine running a multi-user version of Windows (NT, 2000, XP) has a separate Configuration directory, so they can have their own sets of Extensions installed.

A similar tactic could work here. We already now have a "Myriad Documents" folder under "My Documents." It could have a "MyrScripts" folder under it, which in turn could have sub-folders for various types of scripts (based on how they should appear in the user-interface).
Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 4:59pm »
Quote | Modify

on Jan 20th, 2003, 4:26pm, COMALite J wrote:
CThe scripts themselves are installed in the "Configuration" folder under the main Dreamweaver application folder, which in turn has many sub-folders, one for each specific type of script or extension: Objects, Inspectors, Commands, Behaviors, Server Behaviors, and so on.  Each user of a machine running a multi-user version of Windows (NT, 2000, XP) has a separate Configuration directory, so they can have their own sets of Extensions installed.

A similar tactic could work here. We already now have a "Myriad Documents" folder under "My Documents." It could have a "MyrScripts" folder under it, which in turn could have sub-folders for various types of scripts (based on how they should appear in the user-interface).

MyrScript work exactly as this.
The "standard" scripts are located in the program folder, the user can't modify them. When he edit a standard script, he save it in the "user" area.  

Best regards

Myriad Team
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad