please Login or Register.
May 24th, 2019, 7:27am 
   Myriad Forum
   PDFtoMusic / PDFtoMusic Pro
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   PDF2Music crash
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: PDF2Music crash  (Read 723 times)
SMarriott
Board Newbie

PDF2Music crash   PDF2music_error.JPG
« on: Dec 13th, 2018, 7:09pm »
Quote | Modify

When trying to import pdf's (generated on music notation programme) programme crashes each time. When first installed worked well but then will not allow me to do this any more. It is the free version, I would consider buying the software because it is really useful but don't want to pay out the money only to find this problem carries/re-accurs. The error is attached.

bubu42
Board Master

Re: PDF2Music crash  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13th, 2018, 7:14pm »
Quote | Modify

Could you attach the .pdf file so that we can test it on registered versions and see what happens.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
SMarriott
Board Newbie

Re: PDF2Music crash   Bird_s_Lament_-_Flute.pdf
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13th, 2018, 8:45pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks, now attached.
Andre_B
Board Master

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2018, 9:24am »
Quote | Modify

I Don't experiment a crash, neither in registered nor in evaluation mode. But a crash can be due to some borderline error which then involves the operating system.  

However, there is a strong interpretation error: the numbers 28, 12, 10 and 14 at the very left of some staves are interpreted as staff names, causing 4 staves to be created in the .myr file.  

I have  no idea of what these numbers could mean at these places, even in a flute-only part. I would not exclude that they generate different garbage in some situations.  

Can you obtain a complete score, rather than just a part?      

André Baeck, Belge vivant dans le Gard
Windows 10, HA 981e et beta 99.0b1
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14th, 2018, 9:56am »
Quote | Modify

Same result as André.  
The file is analyzed correctly, apart from the multiple silence bars and the fact that 4 voices are generated because of the numbers at the beginning of some lines (easily dealt with through a few copy/paste operations.
(my OS : Windows XP, 2Go RAM)
P.S. Also tried on Linux/Wine. Works the same.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2018, 9:59am by bubu42 » offline

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
SMarriott
Board Newbie

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2018, 2:54pm »
Quote | Modify

It worked for me a number of times, with a number of scores and then crashed. Once it had crashed once I couldn't get the programme to work again. it would crash everytime, not dependant on the score. Personally I was happy with the conversion at this stage. It is just to help with practice. If the full score is helpful I could attached but might have to check with the arranger as it is going outside there terms of use.
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14th, 2018, 5:01pm »
Quote | Modify

Try uninstalling the program and reinstalling it. There might be some  corruption in the init data file.

Andre_B
Board Master

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14th, 2018, 5:06pm »
Quote | Modify

If this happens for all PDF files, the complete score will probably not help, if the problem is the crash and not the split of the score over 4 staves.  

Probably the file which was the first one to crash is the culprit, and has damaged some control files.  

I suggest to make a try after erasing/renaming the  folder  

(…)USER/AppData/Roaming/ACAMPREF/Myriad/PDFToMusic/  

and as a next try the whole of …/ACAMPREF/  
(but be sure to keep a copy if you Don't want to lose your MA/HA settings.  

André Baeck, Belge vivant dans le Gard
Windows 10, HA 981e et beta 99.0b1
PaulL
Board Master

Organist and choir director

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17th, 2018, 8:00pm »
Quote | Modify

I would also suggest shutting down the computer completely and doing a cold restart.  It's the only way to ensure that all registers get cleared.

While highly unlikely, it is possible that a rogue pointer in PDF2Music is affecting storage outside the program's allocated memory area.  (There are supposed to be safeguards in the OS to prevent that from happening, however.)

I don't use PDF2Music all that often, but I've never experienced a crash.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2018, 8:01pm by PaulL » offline

Le silence éternel des espaces infinis m'effraie.
Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win 10
SMarriott
Board Newbie

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17th, 2018, 10:45pm »
Quote | Modify

Sorry, cant get it to work. Tried much of what you suggested but dont understand file substructures to do everything you suggest. Clearly your programme is not idiot proof.
PaulL
Board Master

Organist and choir director

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18th, 2018, 10:30pm »
Quote | Modify

Whatever is going on in your installation, I would suggest reporting the problem to the Myriad team.  Olivier and Didier will definitely want to know about it, and they might possibly have some idea what your problem is and how to solve it.  The more information you can provide them about your installation and what sequence of keystrokes leads to the crash, the more easily they will be able to discern the problem and fix it.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2018, 10:30pm by PaulL » offline

Le silence éternel des espaces infinis m'effraie.
Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win 10
scurtis
Board Newbie

« Reply #11 on: Dec 29th, 2018, 4:33pm »
Quote | Modify

Hello,

I have the same problem as SMarriott.

I installed PDFToMusic a few weeks ago and trialled the free version, which I was happy with.  

I didn't use it again until yesterday, when I bought a licence, entered the key and when the program opened it started to process the file it had previously done, but failed at the same point and with the same message posted above.

I've changed the settings so that it doesn't automatically process a file as soon as you start it, and tried processing other files, including the test ones supplied with the install - all fail at the same place.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program with no luck.

I'm on Windows 10, and there have been a couple of Windows updates since PDFToMusic last worked, so I'm wondering whether that's the culprit.

I've submitted a report via the "Crash Analyser"

Just thought I'd mention it here, as it's obviously not an isolated problem.

Thanks,

Sue.
SMarriott
Board Newbie

« Reply #12 on: Dec 29th, 2018, 5:38pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi Sue

I haven't gone any further now. When conversations start talking about registry and software mechanics I get lost. So I have given up.
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #13 on: Dec 29th, 2018, 7:18pm »
Quote | Modify

I think Sue did the right thing, sending a report to Myriad.  
I'm a Windows user (is XP still considered to be Windows ? ) and I'm surprised at the number of people who run into trouble with the latest versions of that OS (7, 8 and 10) Hopefully, the new versions of PDF2M will soon address the issue. Don't give up !

scurtis
Board Newbie

« Reply #14 on: Jan 5th, 2019, 12:28pm »
Quote | Modify

I've been trying a few things (like reinstalling Melody Assistant, in case there were some shared elements), but to no avail.  

I haven't had any acknowledgement from Myriad about the error report or an email I sent a few days ago - am I being too impatient??
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad