please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 10:59am 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   "Don't split notes" problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: "Don't split notes" problem  (Read 606 times)
olemalm
Board Full Member

Composer

WWW | Email

"Don't split notes" problem   DontSplitNotes.jpg
« on: Mar 25th, 2020, 10:37pm »
Quote | Modify

It seems like that it is not possible to remove the option "Don't split notes" (option under bar line). When first selected. The 'ѵ'-sign showing this option is selected ... I cannot delete/reset?
This also seems to set bar numbers into parenthesis.

Ole Malmgren
Stöcken/Uelzen, DE
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

Re: "Don't split notes" problem   Bracketed_bar_numbers.png
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26th, 2020, 7:40am »
Quote | Modify

Have you changed Time Signature at any time in your score?

Bar numbers in parenthesis (brackets) indicates that a previous bar has been marked as "Don't take account for bar numbering".

Below, bars (1) and (4) are marked "Don't take account for bar numbering".

Go to the first occurrence of a bar number in parenthesis and check the status of the preceding bar.
You may need to insert new bars at this point and copy the notes.

When changing time signature causes a long note to be partially pushed over the barline, so that it appears to be tied, the tie cannot be broken.  The solution is to replace the note.  

Anglophone, HA 64 Win.10.
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.
olemalm
Board Full Member

Composer

WWW | Email

Re: "Don't split notes" problem  
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26th, 2020, 6:16pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi Tony, in this score I change Time Signature many times. But thanks for your advices - I followed the one about inserting new bars and copy the notes. It helped 100%. - Could NOT find "Don't take account for bar numbering" around the bars that was with 'hurt' brackets ...
Best regards  

Ole Malmgren
Stöcken/Uelzen, DE
PaulL
Board Master

Retired organist and choir director; former progra

Re: "Don't split notes" problem   Measure_menu.jpg
« Reply #3 on: Apr 1st, 2020, 4:15pm »
Quote | Modify

If you display the control handles (Ctrl-T) in Page view, you can then right click on the header above the measure in question.  The context-sensitive menu that appears has an option for "Don't split notes," which you can then uncheck.  There are also a couple of options about bar numbering, including the ability to force a bar number, which comes in handy in certain cases.  See the attached picture for details.

Splitting a measure with one of the bar-line tools will result in two measures, the first one with the options "No end of line after this bar" and "Don't split notes" checked, and the second with "Don't take into account for bar numbering" checked.  It is easy to uncheck these once the context-sensitive menu is displayed.

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la Raison ne connaît point.
Paul Littlefield, retired Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
olemalm
Board Full Member

Composer

WWW | Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 1st, 2020, 11:59pm »
Quote | Modify

Hello PaulL... just to make clear that I COULD NOT uncheck option "Don't split notes", it was kind of locked!!! - And there was only this option checked - NO OTHER options like "Don't take into account for bar numbering" was checked!

I am sure I did not check the "Don't split notes" option for a 'normal reason'. Could of course happen by 'accident' ... but was still NOT able to uncheck  

Best regards

Ole Malmgren
Stöcken/Uelzen, DE
PaulL
Board Master

Retired organist and choir director; former progra

« Reply #5 on: Apr 2nd, 2020, 3:08pm »
Quote | Modify

Oh!  I'm sorry I misunderstood your original question.  That is a different matter.

In cases like these, I often find that shutting down HA, and sometimes even powering off the computer, letting it rest for a minute, and then restarting it, can help, particularly if your operating system is Windows.

Shutting down the software and the operating system clears all temporary variables and restores settings that might have become corrupted (a problem with Windows, in particular).  It is important to do a full power off, not what they call a "warm" reboot, so as to ensure that all temporary settings get cleared.  Letting the computer stay powered off for 30-60 seconds before restarting it should allow the capacitors to discharge themselves and further ensure that no bad temporary settings persist.

If that doesn't solve your problem, let us know.

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la Raison ne connaît point.
Paul Littlefield, retired Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

Re: "Cannot untie notes" problem   Cannot_untie.myr
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24th, 2020, 5:11pm »
Quote | Modify

Here is an example of notes that are joined by ties (not slurs) and cannot be un-tied.

The bars are not assigned as "Don't split notes".

The only way to un-tie them is to highlight the dotted notes, then replace them with other dotted notes.  

An extra bar is inserted.  
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2020, 5:13pm by Tony Deff » offline

An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24th, 2020, 6:37pm »
Quote | Modify

I can't reproduce Olemaim's problem...
From the screen copy he attached to his first post, nothing seems to be wrong as far as the total of the notes fit into each bar. There's no need for HA to "jump" the bar with a tied note (like in Tony's example where the dotted half tied with a half has actually a duration equivalent to a whole+a quarter).
Could we have the offending file or at least part of it if there are copyright issues ?

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24th, 2020, 9:32pm »
Quote | Modify

@bubu

From what Olemalm wrote on March 26th, the corrupted bars have now been surgically removed.

Unless he has a backup, the evidence has been lost.

In a parallel with Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, this problem can not be directly located, only recreated when it is most inconvenient and unwanted, involving changing Time Signatures, inserting bars with some forgotten ghost rests.    

olemalm
Board Full Member

Composer

WWW | Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29th, 2020, 11:56pm »
Quote | Modify

@Deff, @Bubu ... Yes (no ), I don't today have a backup from before the repair of corruption was made on March 26th. But thanks for replies ...  

Ole Malmgren
Stöcken/Uelzen, DE
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad