please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:18pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Accordion and midi interface
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Accordion and midi interface  (Read 864 times)
Rainer
Board Newbie

Accordion and midi interface  
« on: Feb 13th, 2018, 3:53pm »
Quote | Modify

Dear Forum, I have a problem  using Harmony Assistant with a Roland FR3x Accordion.  

What I would like to happen is for the notes to appear  on the staff as I play them. That is to say the treble from the right hand side of the accordion on the G clef staff . This is actually working OK and the bass notes in the appropriate positions on the F clef staff.
However, the base and chords (Accordion) when played, appear on the F clef staff but not in the right positions and are encroaching on the Treble clef area.
Also the notes being displayed on the existing staff lines, create their own lines with the notes on them and not on the existing score staff.

Also there is a lot of latency as the notes do not display immediately when being played but some  only some bars later.

Now will confess I am at the beginning of learning to read music and would find it helpful if the above could be made to work.
Looking forward to your reply.  

bubu42
Board Master

Re: Accordion and midi interface  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2018, 7:48pm »
Quote | Modify

Could you attach a HA (.myr) file of a few bars you've "recorded" with HA/accordion. That would help us to deal with the staves problems.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Rainer
Board Newbie

Re: Accordion and midi interface   Accordion_Staff_2.mus
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2018, 1:47pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi, please find attached the file with the corresponding problem.
Sorry about the late reply. If further information is needed please contact me again  
Regards  

Rainer
bubu42
Board Master

Re: Accordion and midi interface   roland01.jpg
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2018, 4:21am »
Quote | Modify

Thanks for the file. I edited it and it turns out that all the notes have been placed on the first staff no matter their pitch. With the treble clef, many ledger lines have been added and it looks as if the notes had been written on the second staff (bass clef) at the wrong position (e.g. the first C looks like a D)
On the attached screen scan, I enlarged the staff areas.  
Bar #1is the original bar and I copied all its notes into bar #2, second staff.
I leave alone the exact durations (I doubt you meant dotted 16ths in the chords) : they can be changed with the syringe tool later on.
It is difficult to make HA understand which notes belong to which staff when the melody and accompaniment share the same pitch and you input both at the same time. There is no MIDI event telling which staff must be used...
However,  a staff can easlly be split according to a given note (e.g. you can decide to send all the notes below C3 to the bottom staff, leaving the others on the top staff)

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Rainer
Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2018, 1:01pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi,  
thanks for the information . I have been playing around with various settings within HA and the Accordion and  was still not able to achieve what I wanted.  
The following has become clear to me , all notes generated by the accordion are interpreted as belonging to the treble staff  by HA.  
I can change the midi channels used for bass  and chords on the accordion but there seems to be no facility to assign each staff  on HA ,to a seperate midi channel, one for bass and one for chords. If  this was so , it would be easy to adjust the midi output octave  for bass and chords  as to place the notes on the correct staff's and there positions ?

I will look around to see if there is any other software package which will perhaps allow this  or maybe someone can write a script to enable this on Harmony assistant.

Again thanks for your help  

Kind regards  
Rainer
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2018, 1:02pm by Rainer » offline
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17th, 2018, 3:22pm »
Quote | Modify

on Feb 17th, 2018, 1:01pm, Rainer wrote:
I can change the midi channels used for bass  and chords on the accordion but there seems to be no facility to assign each staff  on HA ,to a seperate midi channel, one for bass and one for chords. If  this was so , it would be easy to adjust the midi output octave  for bass and chords  as to place the notes on the correct staff's and there positions ?

That could be a new feature in HA : being able to assign a MIDI channel to a staff could be useful in some cases. I think I'll suggest that to the developpers...

bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20th, 2018, 9:43am »
Quote | Modify

on Feb 17th, 2018, 3:22pm, bubu42 wrote:

That could be a new feature in HA : being able to assign a MIDI channel to a staff could be useful in some cases.
I should have checked the manual before answering...  
"In the "Recording tools" palette, select MIDI input by clicking on its icon, then start recording. The music starts playing and you can play on your MIDI keyboard.
To apply what you have recorded, stop the music. A window opens and you are asked to specify the staff to which the recorded notes are to be added.

If you record notes from several MIDI channels, several staves will be used as targets. "

The thing I missed was my digital keyboard wasn't set to send information on two different channels...

Rainer
Board Newbie

« Reply #7 on: Mar 4th, 2018, 3:01pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi Thanks for getting back to me regarding the Accordion Notation. I could not get your suggestion to work and if it did, it would be only after the recording which has taken place that the staff can be allocated to the separate midi-channels.

My Roland accordion is set to send the midi events etc on individual channels in this case treble  CH1 ,Bass notes CH 3 and Chords CH4.
There fore it would be easier to set up the manuscript at the start ( aTemplate)  to contain three individual    staff's, one for each channel  so a live recording can be made without having to specify the staffs after the event.  
It surprises me that this  function is not already incorporated in Harmony assistant as the software company is of  French origin and the  Piano accordion amongst others is still an instrument favoured by the French people.
Other accordion such as the diatonic accordion  with their complicated bellow movements have been already catered for and templates are accessable within the program.  
If you check on the net , you will find that many accordion players with midi functionality have made noumerous  :)requsts on various forums that this type of live notation recording would be ideal.

So please persuade Diddier to consider this option which would enhance the software and make it more usable to those of us wishing  record  our midi data directly onto the score.

Looking forward to you reply and apologies for not answering sooner.
With kind  Regards  

Rainer  
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2018, 3:03pm by Rainer » offline
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad