please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:47pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Open Source
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Galerie 5.4.0 freezes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Galerie 5.4.0 freezes  (Read 3753 times)
tachyon
Board Newbie

Galerie 5.4.0 freezes  
« on: May 18th, 2010, 5:13am »
Quote | Modify

Hello,
I had been using Galerie 5.2.0d until today when I downloaded 5.4.0 to my MacOS 10.6.3 system.  I did this first on my office machine, where 5.2.0d worked without a problem. When I downloaded 5.4.0 I never got it to run - as soon as I clicked on Templates pulldown menu, it froze and I had to force quit.  I tried reloading 5.4.0
from the galerie.dmg file, but it never worked. I trashed the preference file but that didn't help either.

Tonight at home I repeated the whole experiment on an iMac (intel, 10.6.3) and the results are identical.  

Now I have 2 machines with broken Galerie (both versions).  

Please give me some hints to clear this situation, since I really like using Galerie!

thanks
tachyon
Ronald P. Regensburg
Board Master

Email

Re: Galerie 5.4.0 freezes  
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2010, 11:50am »
Quote | Modify

I have no experience with Galerie on Snow Leopard yet. Still, a few suggestions:

1. With Galerie 5.4.0 you should use the 5.4.0 versions of the templates that are provided with it.

2. Galerie had a (different) problem with Leopard that is solved with a 5.4.1b1 beta version. You may want to try that version: http://www.myriad-online.com/mac/Galerie.zip
(You should use the 5.4.0 templates with this beta version.)

3. Before using the templates pulldown menu, first reset the correct path to the (new) Galerie Templates folder in Preferences, Templates tab.

4. (I suppose this suggestion is superfluous, but some make this mistake: Do not launch Galerie from the dmg image file, but first copy the Galerie application and the Galerie Templates folder to appropriate locations on your hard disk.)

Ronald.
tachyon
Board Newbie

« Reply #2 on: May 18th, 2010, 5:32pm »
Quote | Modify

Hello,
I followed your advice: downloaded 5.4.1b1 and replaced the previous version in Applications with the b1 version. I made sure (preferences) that it was pointed to the Templates folder.
It still has the same hanging problem when I try to activate the Templates pulldown menu.

I noticed something really bizarre: after the application hangs, if I go to another app (like typing this reply) suddenly the pulldown menu window floats over the new app.  This is a full minute after I have clicked on the Templates bar!

Galerie is obviously working furiously to locate the templates folder.  I have no idea why it cannot find it.  There must be a syntax change in path specifications in Snow Leopard

When I thought Galerie was frozen, it was crawling through the file system looking for Templates, or trying to pop up a new window.  But why?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Board Master

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 18th, 2010, 10:04pm »
Quote | Modify

There must be a specific problem on your configuration. Until now, only a problem with editing comments was reported with Snow Leopard.

The report is in French:
http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/bbs/YaBB.pl?board=galerie;action=di splay;num=1253985814

And later Didier Guillion did not see other problems on MacOSX 10.6.2, see last post in this thread:
http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/bbs/YaBB.pl?board=galerie;action=di splay;num=1245797619

I will probably install Snow Leopard myself sometime next weekend. Then I will be able to see what does or does not work with Galerie in Snow Leopard on my machine.

Ronald.
tachyon
Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2010, 10:23pm »
Quote | Modify

<There must be a specific problem on your configuration. Until now, only a problem with editing comments was reported with Snow Leopard.  

I have the identical problem on 2 different Snow Leopard installations. I don't think there is a common thread (except Galerie)

<The report is in French:  
<http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/bbs/YaBB.plboard=galerie;action=dis play;num=1253985814  

Je l'ai lu  

<And later Didier Guillion did not see other problems on MacOSX 10.6.2, see last <post in this thread:  
<http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/bbs/YaBB.pl?board=galerie;action=di splay;num=1245797619  

There is one other observation: during the 60 seconds it takes for the pulldown menu to appear, I have been watching the output of the "top" command line, and there is no obvious use of CPU, so I suspect Galerie is sleeping waiting for some system command to complete, which times out.  After about 10 seconds Galerie becomes responsive to other commands ("open setup drawer"), but the popup window for the menu only appears after 60 seconds.

I recall reading on another forum that with Snow Leopard Apple has changed the API for windows manipulation to WebKit.  Could this be at the root of the problem?

Ronald P. Regensburg
Board Master

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 19th, 2010, 9:02am »
Quote | Modify

Instead of using the pulldown menu, can you select a template from the Templates window? (see Window menu or hit command-T)

Ronald.
tachyon
Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: May 19th, 2010, 6:46pm »
Quote | Modify

[Now using 5.4.1b1]

Getting the templates window to show up for the first time, whether by window menu->templates or using cmd-T, takes 38 seconds. But once the window has been displayed, and closed, it comes up promptly on subsequent requests via cmd-T.  It is just the first instance that requires the  inordinate wait.

But once the window has closed, and I click on the pulldown menu, the full 1 minute wait is required before the list is shown.  Subsequent clicks on the pulldown menu require the full minute, as well.

I hope this is helpful.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Board Master

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 20th, 2010, 12:41am »
Quote | Modify

I will come back on this subject after I have installed 10.6.3 myself (probably next week).

Ronald.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Board Master

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 23rd, 2010, 1:15pm »
Quote | Modify

Well, I now ran the January 2008 Galerie beta in MacOSX 10.6.3 on my Intel Core 2 Duo iMac and I do not have the problem you described, at least not permanently. Most of the time, the templates pull-down menu and the templates window open just like they did in 10.5.8, maybe even a little faster. The larger the number of templates in the Galerie Templates folder, the longer the delay before menu or window open, but with 69 templates in my Galerie Templates folder it does not take more than 2 to 3 seconds. With only the 18 templates from the original Galerie download, menu and window open almost instantaneously.

At one time Galerie did react slowly on user interaction, but it was not as bad as you described and not only with templates selection. That behavior did not return after I logged out and back in again.

The problem with editing comments is as reported earlier. For each entered character an error message pops up that needs to be dismissed before one can proceed. Nevertheless, although laboriously, text can be entered that is used as comment in the gallery and that is saved in Galerie's comments database.

Ronald.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Board Master

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 23rd, 2010, 9:25pm »
Quote | Modify

Later today I tried Galerie again and I witnessed the problem that you described. It took Galerie about half a minute to react when I tried to open menus or even close the window. Quitting and re-launching Galerie did not solve it, but after logout and re-login, the problem had gone and Galerie reacted normally again. Strange.

Ronald.
tachyon
Board Newbie

« Reply #10 on: May 23rd, 2010, 11:43pm »
Quote | Modify

Hello --

I tried logging out and all the bizarre behavior disappeared.

If it reappears I will post it here.

Ronald P. Regensburg
Board Master

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 24th, 2010, 12:02pm »
Quote | Modify

I am nor sure if this is a Galerie problem or a Snow Leopard problem or a combination.

Ronald.
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad